Summer’s in the air, and that means so are Summer Weddings. More weddings take place in the summer than any other time of the year. The reasons are many, so consider these advantages when choosing a date:
Flowers: Summer provides nearly twice the amount and variety of flowers than other seasons. Besides the beauty they bring to the event, they cost less, too.
Fashion: The majority of wedding dresses available are sleeveless, making them both eye-catching, and perfect for warm weather. Plus, this gives you great flexibility when shopping on how much you want to spend.
Location: Summer opens up the outdoors to places to hold your wedding and reception, gardens and the beach being perennial favorites. These are often much less expensive than renting a hall, for example.
Guest Lists: It’s more convenient to attend since guests are more prone to take vacation days from work, or are out of school.
Of course, planning your wedding down the finest detail is essential, both from a money-saving standpoint, as well as a success-of-the event standpoint. To get started, begin by making a checklist, then use that to help guide you as you create your budget. Wedding specialists “The Knot” have some great planning tools at your disposal, including checklists and budgeting guides. It’s free to sign up for both of these, but we have some great discounts on whatever you need should you decide to shop with them.
Check out this sample budget for an idea of what to expect:
FOLLOW THESE BUDGET SAVING TIPS!
1. Be wise with your guest list. This saves on catering, invitations, and the amount of centerpieces you’ll need.
2. Hold your ceremony and reception in the same location.
3. Use large tables, cutting down on the number of centerpieces and tablecloths.
4. Buy flowers that are in season, and include non-florals, like lanterns.
5. Serve beer, wine, and a special cocktail instead of a opting for a full bar.
While you’re concentrating on these and other “do’s” to save money, don’t forget to look out for those unexpected “don’ts” that can add up quick.
BEWARE OF THESE HIDDEN BUDGET BUSTERS!
1. Music – Have the band or DJ check out your space to avoid paying for unnecessary equipment.
2. Postage – Avoid fancy boxed invitations and multilayer cards, which cost more to ship and mail.
3. Wedding Dress Alterations – Most stores don't include alterations (or steaming) in the price of the dress.
4. Overtime - Figure in additional time up front for getting dressed, taking photos, etc., to avoid keeping your band, DJ, or videographer for more time than you booked them for.
5. Cleanup Costs – If you’re renting a venue, read your contract carefully to make sure the setup and breakdown costs are included, as many times they are not.
So, as you can see, with the proper preparation, your wedding can be beautiful, stylish, and memorable without leaving you broke, or with blown-up credit cards. We hope your special day turns out even better than your wildest expectations, and we wish you all the best!