Yes, even after all these years, the war rages on: Mac or PC? What’s truly a shame is that this ongoing battle is completely avoidable. More about that later, but here are the reasons you’ll usually see given by Mac lovers to explain why they embrace their computational machine of choice:
- Macs are easier to use – Face it, they are.
- Fewer viruses – Yep.
- iTunes/Apple’s App Store – Tying them together makes purchases and installations a breeze.
- iPhone syncing – Actually, syncing everything on all your Mac devices is virtually automatic and error free.
- The “coolness” factor – Mac users can wear shorts to work, PC’s require a necktie.
Now, to be fair, PC aficionados have their own reasons for feeling the way they do. Here are the ones most commonly given:
- PCs are cheaper – Almost always true, and often A LOT cheaper.
- Microsoft Office - Much better functionality on PC’s than the Mac versions.
- More games – WAY more, no doubt about it.
- Easy to customize – You can pretty much build a PC from the ground up. Macs? No way.
- Popularity - If everybody else is doing it, so should I.
Strong arguments for both, right? So, Mac or PC? Well, how about both? Turning your Mac into a virtual PC is easy. Turning your PC into a virtual Mac is possible, but is a huge, complicated pain in the butt...which leads us to “The Best Reason Ever to Switch from PC to Mac.” And that is...
Parallels!!! What is this “Parallels” you speak of, friend? Read, pay attention, and all will be revealed:
“With Parallels Desktop for Mac, you can seamlessly run both Windows and Mac OS X applications side-by-side without rebooting. Drag and drop files between Windows and Mac applications and launch Windows applications from your Mac dock. Powerful performance lets you run Windows productivity applications, even graphics intensive ones, with ease.
Whether you use an iMac, MacBook Pro or MacBook Air, Parallels is easy to set up. Simply download the software from our website, enter your key and you’re up and running. Then you can enjoy any of the Windows programs you need – even Microsoft Office 2010, the gold standard of productivity software – right on your Mac. We've united Mac and Windows. The rest is up to you.”
See? There’s the reason to switch. If you have a Mac, Parallels allows you to also have a PC. So, is that really switching, per se? I’m not sure, but having the best of both worlds sure seems like a great way to go to me.
Take a look at Parallels 8 in action:
UPDATE!!! Parallels 9 will soon be available, and will undoubtedly be offered at a discount to make it fly off the shelves. It will be compatible with Apple's latest OS X 10.9 Mavericks, as well Microsoft's latest, Windows 8.1.
If you’re getting ready to buy a Mac, make sure to also order Parallels. If you already have a Mac, order it to increase its capabilities. If you have a PC, oh well.
If you found this article useful, interesting, or you just like to give advice, tell your friends by sharing via the links at the top of this page.